Interview by Robert Urban for GAY GUITARISTS WORLDWIDE
Glittered up, glammed out guitar god LEXXXIS is lead guitarist for the cross-dressing, ultra-heavy, 4 man rock group VIBRALUX.
Hailing from Lawrence, Kansas - bisexual LEXXIS's playing draws inspiration from a combination of late 60's classic psychedelic blues/rock,
early 70's British led glam, and 80's showy hair band metal. Vibralux's crunching battering ram of double guitar virtuosity
recalls such iconic twin guitar bands as KISS, early Humble Pie and the original “Love it to Death” era Alice Cooper.
Think Ziggy Stardust meets Victoria's Secret; Led Zeppelin meets Frederick's of Hollywood; Jayne County meets Motley Crue.
The boy/girls of VIBRALUX put their own uniquely spaced-out spin on the gender-bending, attention-demanding genre known as “Bitch Rock”.
- What brand/model/year instrument(s) do you record and play out with?
Lexxxis:I typically use a mid-eighties Ibanez USA custom. I love the expression of the floating trem-bar
- what brand/model/year amps & effects do u use?
Lexxxis: I trust solely in the power of a mesa triple rectifier. I also use a DOD pedal for my Lead channel, because you cannot count on the sound guy to boost you on solos. Occasionally I use a Crybaby, hopefully in good taste, not as a crutch.
- Any special/favorite instrument tones/effects/approaches/techniques you've used/discovered in recording and/or performance that you really like?
Lexxxis:I really like physical motions that compliment the musical act/emotion that is happening. One of my favorite things is finding what it is that you are going to play and then making it rediculously more difficult so that it looks really HOT!- Who are your main influences as an instrumentalist? Which artists? Which bands? Instrumentalist? Which artists/bands were your favorites in your youth?
Lexxxis:Steve Vai, Steve Vai, Steve Vai, and ummmm... Brak.
- Tell fans about your luv of heavy rock music, as opposed to other rock/pop styles - how it became your favorite style of rock, etc
Lexxxis: INtensity, expression, performance, wattage. Need I say more?
- Do you play/compose/record only your own original music? Do you do any other work in music - e.g. teaching, recording session work, hired gun, producing, etc?
I love to teach actually, Thank you very much for asking. I teach at a non-profit school in Kansas called the Americana Music Academy, which includes a class where I get to teach junior high kids all about performance and playing w/ other musicians. By the way, all of my students understand that when duty calls they will not have lessons that week because their instructor must set the example for rock as priority.
- Is there a particular favorite solo or part you played on a recording, or a certain piece of composed music you wrote, that you feel represents your finest work?
Lexxxis: There's alot on Trans-Mission that I really surprised myself with, but probably my personal favorite for simpliciy, taste, appropriateness of theme would have to be track 3/ "Arrival"
- Can you relate any special feelings or experiences about being a glbt player in the mostly straight music world... especially regarding your formative/learning years on your instrument?
Lexxxis:Reading, study, practice, PERSONAL AWARENESS, flexability.
- For a glbt player - how does the overall music scene differ today
from years ago? How have trans players/performers/singers evolved in recent years?
Lexxxis: I used to hang out w/ alot of alcoholic horndogs, now I hang out w/ alot of alcohoic horndogs who have talent and look hot.
- Any special thoughts on your instrument, and what it's meant to you in your life?
- Any advice for young glbt players?
Lexxxis: Practice, practice, practice, know yourself before you make any final decisions about anyone else.
- What are your current and future musical projects?
Lexxxis: Currently: Vibralux: Mercury Mad and the Plastic Bitches is my primary. I am also working on publishing a manual on finger exercises and dexterity, as well as continuing to teach.
Robert thank you for everything; being you, supporting us, and the rest of the community that you support who may or may not realize your talent, beauty, and heart. Love ya, love your show,
for more info on LEXXXIS and VIBRALUX visit http://mercurymad.com
Go to GAY GUITARISTS WORLDWIDE Home Page
Read more GGW's "GUITARIST OF THE MONTH" Interviews
Go to Urban Productions Music & Arts Reviews
Return to Robert Urban Homepage